IMPORTANT UPDATE: Based on an abundance of evidence from around the world about the efficacy of the vaccines to help curb the spread of COVID-19, Barcelona SAE requires all students to be fully vaccinated on our programs.
The Spanish Language & Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is sure to make your language abilities skyrocket! This program is designed for international students that are looking to take most of their courses in Spanish, but at a level for non-native speakers – providing you with the perfect balance of challenge and comfort!
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is the oldest and largest university in the region of Catalonia with over 90,000 students. The UB has always placed an importance on international relations, and for many years it has been the leader among European universities in hosting international students – with around 5,000 enrolled annually.
The UB offers an Estudios Hispanicos program, with classes that reflect Spanish and Latin American culture from different perspectives. Students will be able to choose from courses in English and Spanish that approach topics such as the history, geography, art, literature, politics, and economics… all of which will explore local culture.
While students have the option to take classes in English, this program is especially designed for those students seeking the deepest immersion in the Spanish language. This means that in addition to Spanish through language classes, most of the elective courses at UB are available in Spanish but with levels adapted for non-native Spanish speakers. This makes this program very appealing to the students that are willing to take their language skills to the next level.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in Spanish or English and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UB with other international students.
During a semester at UB, students can choose between two different options. Please visit our website for more information.
- Option One: 12 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Two Elective Courses
- Option Two: 15 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Three Elective Courses
Please click here
to view the available courses for this program.
The Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the UB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from the Universitat de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different.
Housing in Barcelona is very competitive and participants will be placed based on availability. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
There are no overnight guests allowed in any program housing. Our staff is happy to share a resource page for hotels and hostels for any visiting friends to use.
Most housing will be in double rooms with students of the same gender (biological sex). You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis). If you have any questions or concerns, please note this in your housing form.
WHERE WILL YOU LIVE?
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
A Day In The Life of a BSAE Student!
Note: This provider has a Covid-19 vaccination requirement in order to participate in their programs.
To calculate an estimate of the total cost of your program, use the Cost Estimate Template and do the following:
1. Go to the Barcelona SAE website https://www.barcelonasae.com/, click on Programs on the upper left and navigate to the term and then program.
2. On the right-hand side, click Dates and Costs. This is the cost of your tuition and housing. If Homestay is chosen for housing, the fee includes breakfast and dinner.
3. In addition to this program fee, add the following costs to arrive at your total cost
If you would like further assistance in calculating the cost of your program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meals – apartments do not include any meals. Homestays do not include lunch.
- Application fee - $65
- Study Abroad Administrative fee - $460
- WSU Laptop fee (semester students only) - $485
- International Airfare (check studentuniverse.com, expedia.com or other search engines).
- Passport ($140) and Visa, (if required, cost varies per country)
- Personal/ miscellaneous expenses for travel, additional meals, souvenirs, etc.