IMPORTANT UPDATE: Based on an abundance of evidence from around the world about the efficacy of the vaccines to help curb the spread of COVID-19, Barcelona SAE requires all students to be fully vaccinated on our programs.
Gain an edge that sets you apart from other graduates in your future career field! An internship in the cosmopolitan city of Barcelona offers hands-on professional experience paired with new cross-cultural communication skills and your proven ability to actively participate in the global workforce. There is no better way to prepare yourself for success from graduation and beyond.
Barcelona SAE internships are 100% customized to your major, preferences, experience, and career goals. This means you will be doing hands-on work in your field and developing professional intercultural skills, while boosting your resume as you move towards graduation and beyond. Placements are available with start dates throughout the year in English and Spanish for a wide variety of majors. You can choose from 6, 8 or 12 week options during the semesters, or 6 or 8 week options during the summer.
All in-person interns will be required to take our Global Internship Experience Course for 1 credit. If you would like to receive additional academic credit through our internship school of record, Jacksonville University, there is an additional fee of $600 for 3 credits (6 or 8 weeks) or 6 credits (12 weeks only). Alternatively, many students are able to arrange credit approval through their home institution. Contact your study abroad office, academic advisor, or career services to see if this option is available at your school.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
WHY INTERN IN BARCELONA?
- ENGLISH AND SPANISH PLACEMENTS OFFERED: While speakers of both Spanish and English will have even more position possibilities, keep in mind that some organizations in Barcelona offer placements that even prefer English speakers. Many of these companies will give you international communication responsibilities that could utilize either or both languages!
- BUSINESS HUB: Barcelona is a thriving business hub for both startup companies and established international organizations. With professionals from various nationalities and language backgrounds, this cosmopolitan city prides itself on diversity and innovation. Entrepreneurship is highly supported by the government, which allows public and private business organizations of all sizes to flourish.
- QUALITY OF LIFE: Barcelona understands the work/life balance, and while employees work hard, they take time to enjoy a leisurely lunch, hold meetings over a cafe con leche and build business relations through “afterwork” social gatherings. By interning through Barcelona SAE, you will not only gain practical skills in your field but also have the chance to create and grow meaningful international network connections that go beyond the office.
- PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE: Every year, Barcelona draws international conferences, workshops, and professional exhibitions that showcase cutting-edge innovation. Past events have included the Mobile World Congress, the International Food and Drinks Exhibition, and even the Olympic Games.
Students will spend approximately 20 hours per week at their internship placement, although the specific schedule for each intern will vary slightly according to the needs of their company.
Interns generally arrive on a Monday and have orientation during their first week to help prepare for the cultural, professional, and logistical differences in Barcelona. Within a few days of arrival, interns will meet their supervisors, accompanied by a Barcelona SAE staff member, to discuss job responsibilities, expectations and set goals.
Barcelona SAE offers customizable placements in the following fields:
Don’t see your major listed? Don’t worry! Since our internships are 100% customized, just contact an advisor today and we’ll help you find the placement that’s right for you!
- Culinary Arts
- Event Planning
- Government & Politics
- Graphic Design
- Health & Fitness
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Information Technology
- International Business
- Public Relations
- …and MORE!
All Barcelona SAE Customized Internships Include:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Professional Skype Interview
- Cover Letter & Resume Coaching
- Personalized Advising
While in Barcelona:
- Customized Internship Placement
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Staff Escort to First Day of Internship
- Intensive Spanish Language Courses
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Professional, Cultural, & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona – Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Monthly Professional Agenda
- Working Across Cultures Workshop (Summer Interns)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
An overnight and/or weekend excursion(s) outside of Barcelona may be available at an additional cost.
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different.
Housing in Barcelona is very competitive and participants will be placed based on availability. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
There are no overnight guests allowed in any program housing. Our staff is happy to share a resource page for hotels and hostels for any visiting friends to use.
Most housing will be in double rooms with students of the same gender (biological sex). You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis). If you have any questions or concerns, please note this in your housing form.
WHERE WILL YOU LIVE?
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here for more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
A Day In The Life of a BSAE Student!
Note: This provider has a Covid-19 vaccination requirement in order to participate in their programs.
To calculate an estimate of the total cost of your program, use the Cost Estimate Template and do the following:
1. Go to the Barcelona SAE website https://www.barcelonasae.com/, click on Programs on the upper left and navigate to the term and then program.
2. On the right-hand side, click Dates and Costs. This is the cost of your tuition and housing. If Homestay is chosen for housing, the fee includes breakfast and dinner.
3. In addition to this program fee, add the following costs to arrive at your total cost
If you would like further assistance in calculating the cost of your program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meals – apartments do not include any meals. Homestays do not include lunch.
- Application fee - $65
- Study Abroad Administrative fee - $460
- WSU Laptop fee (semester students only) - $485
- International Airfare (check studentuniverse.com, expedia.com or other search engines).
- Passport ($140) and Visa, (if required, cost varies per country)
- Personal/ miscellaneous expenses for travel, additional meals, souvenirs, etc.