IMPORTANT UPDATE: Based on an abundance of evidence from around the world about the efficacy of the vaccines to help curb the spread of COVID-19, Barcelona SAE requires all students to be fully vaccinated on our programs.
The International Business & Economics Semester/Quarter Program at ESCI (Escuela Superior de Comercio International) is designed for students majoring or minoring in business who seek to understand the global economy. An added bonus – and necessary in today’s world – is the chance to improve your level of Spanish. ESCI is a branch of the highly regarded UPF (Universitat Pompeu Fabra) with beautiful campuses and facilities located in the center of Barcelona.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 3.0
- Class Requirement: Junior-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. The campus is full of remodeled historic buildings and sits in the heart of Barcelona just two blocks from the beach. Imagine unwinding between classes while listening to the waves of the Mediterranean Sea. While most classes at ESCI are offered in English, classrooms will be shared with Spanish and Catalan students which makes for a high level of integration with locals.
ESCI, the Business School at the UPF, is located 15 minutes from their Ciutadella Campus and a 10 minute walk from the Barcelona SAE offices. Classes take place next to the Born neighborhood and the gorgeous Ciutadella Park. At ESCI students will find a variety of courses that cover all aspects of Business, Economics and Finance. Courses such as International Management, International Finance, Corporate Finance, Strategic Consumer Insights and many others mean that students will have lots of options to better their knowledge of International Business.
Most students at ESCI combine their course load with some classes at HESP, which means that they can take business courses while also taking Spanish language, history or other electives. ESCI classes are highly challenging, and students should be prepared to put in some hard work, but because of this can expect to receive a high-quality education.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
Please click here to view the available courses for this program.
The International Business &Economics (ESCI) Semester/Quarter Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different.
Housing in Barcelona is very competitive and participants will be placed based on availability. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
There are no overnight guests allowed in any program housing. Our staff is happy to share a resource page for hotels and hostels for any visiting friends to use.
Most housing will be in double rooms with students of the same gender (biological sex). You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis). If you have any questions or concerns, please note this in your housing form.
WHERE WILL YOU LIVE?
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here for more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
A Day In The Life of a BSAE Student!
Note: This provider has a Covid-19 vaccination requirement in order to participate in their programs.
To calculate an estimate of the total cost of your program, use the Cost Estimate Template and do the following:
1. Go to the Barcelona SAE website https://www.barcelonasae.com/, click on Programs on the upper left and navigate to the term and then program.
2. On the right-hand side, click Dates and Costs. This is the cost of your tuition and housing. If Homestay is chosen for housing, the fee includes breakfast and dinner.
3. In addition to this program fee, add the following costs to arrive at your total cost
If you would like further assistance in calculating the cost of your program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meals – apartments do not include any meals. Homestays do not include lunch.
- Application fee - $65
- Study Abroad Administrative fee - $460
- WSU Laptop fee (semester students only) - $485
- International Airfare (check studentuniverse.com, expedia.com or other search engines).
- Passport ($140) and Visa, (if required, cost varies per country)
- Personal/ miscellaneous expenses for travel, additional meals, souvenirs, etc.