A seven-week internship in Derry/ Londonderry allows students to be directly involved in efforts of social change toward a peaceful future. The diverse perspectives gained at the internship will help students explore how society is progressing and analyze the cultural traditions and resources available for building a sustainable and inclusive democracy. Internship sites ultimately provide an opportunity to do meaningful work that makes a difference. Some organizations are grassroots with a local focus while others are international in scope.
Field seminars focus on human rights, equality, conflict transformation and education for democracy and help you see in action the tools used to transform conflict. Each student also carries out an independent study project on a topic of personal choice, which includes field research.
Bachelors Degree (Undergraduate)
- Area/Ethnic Studies
- Conflict Studies
- Criminal Justice / Corrections
- Human Rights Advocacy
- International Relations
- Journalism / Broadcasting
- Legal Studies
- Peace Studies
- Political Science/Politics
- Public Admin, Public Policy, Govt
- Social Policy
- Social Sciences
- Social Work
- Women's Studies
Please contact HECUA for current pricing, or check the website, here. Program fees include group transportation to field sites, planned group excursions, lodging, meals, local transportation, medical insurance, and administrative costs.
- Group living
Independently or in Groups
HECUA provides up to three $750 Scholarships for Community Engagement, two $1,500 Scholarships for Social Justice and four $4,000 Scholarships for Racial Justice for semester-length programs each fall and spring. More information about the application process for scholarships is available on the HECUA website, here, or by contacting the organization.
- Letters of Reference
- Online Application plus Application Assessment
To calculate an estimate of the total cost of your program, use the Cost Estimate Template
and do the following:
1. Go to the Full Fees Breakdown document on the HECUA website, located here: https://hecua.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Full-Fees-Breakdown-19-20-v5.pdf
2. Under your program, the HECUA Fee (comprehensive) includes the cost of tuition and housing.
3. Add the items listed under the heading Additional Expense Estimates to your total.
4. In addition to these fees, add the following costs to arrive at your total cost
- Application fee - $65
- Study Abroad Administrative fee - $460
- WSU Laptop fee (semester students only) - $485
If you would like further assistance in calculating the cost of your program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org