A seven-week internship in Derry/ Londonderry allows students to be directly involved in efforts of social change toward a peaceful future. The diverse perspectives gained at the internship will help students explore how society is progressing and analyze the cultural traditions and resources available for building a sustainable and inclusive democracy. Internship sites ultimately provide an opportunity to do meaningful work that makes a difference. Some organizations are grassroots with a local focus while others are international in scope.
Field seminars focus on human rights, equality, conflict transformation and education for democracy and help you see in action the tools used to transform conflict. Each student also carries out an independent study project on a topic of personal choice, which includes field research.
Health and Safety
HECUA has been vigilantly and constantly monitoring the evolving conditions of COVID-19, including tracking updates from the Minnesota Department of Health, Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, the US Department of State and other credible sources. Click here to view HECUA's most recent COVID-19 updates.?
Click here to view current fees on our website. Fees vary by institution. group transportation to field sites, planned group excursions, lodging, meals, local transportation, medical insurance, and administrative costs. During the course of the program students are placed in student housing on the University of Ulster campus, and receive a food stipend.
- Group living
HECUA offers multiple scholarships to students each term. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, people of color) students, first-generation students, and students from low-income backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Visit our website to learn more.
If you're ready to apply or just want more information, we suggest that you connect with your HECUA Campus Representative. Click here to view the HECUA staff page
and contact the Campus Representative who works with your institution.
Click here to apply.
Note: This provider has a Covid-19 vaccination requirement in order to participate in their programs.
- Connect with a HECUA Campus Representative
- Submit an application to your home institution
- Submit an application to HECUA
To calculate an estimate of the total cost of your program, use the Cost Estimate Template
and do the following:
1. Go to the Full Fees Breakdown document on the HECUA website, located here: https://hecua.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Full-Fees-Breakdown-19-20-v5.pdf
2. Under your program, the HECUA Fee (comprehensive) includes the cost of tuition and housing.
3. Add the items listed under the heading Additional Expense Estimates to your total.
4. In addition to these fees, add the following costs to arrive at your total cost
- Application fee - $65
- Study Abroad Administrative fee - $460
- WSU Laptop fee (semester students only) - $485
If you would like further assistance in calculating the cost of your program, please email email@example.com