Apply systems thinking and sustainability theory to real world cases. Partner with organizers transforming communities and restoring ecosystems.
HECUA designs an internship experience for all students that meets personal learning goals and connects program themes. Extraordinary mentors in the environmental arena lead students to participate in meaningful work during the internship portion of the program. Past internships sites include MN350, Growing North, and Lily Springs Farm. Students can expect to spend 12-15 hours/week in their internship.
HECUA is planning to offer all programs in-person for the 2021-2022 academic year. This is subject to change based on health and safety guidelines.
Health and Safety
HECUA has been vigilantly and constantly monitoring the evolving conditions of COVID-19, including tracking updates from the Minnesota Department of Health, Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, the US Department of State and other credible sources. Click here to view HECUA's most recent COVID-19 updates.
Check the HECUA website here, for the current fees. These fees include include tuition, nearly all reading materials, some field visits (including meals while traveling), and tickets to events and opportunities associated with the program.
Think this program is just for environmental studies students? Think again! This program integrates natural and social sciences within a social justice framework and no course prerequisites are required.
This program is open to any undergraduate students currently enrolled in a US college or university who have completed their first year of college and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, although any applicant with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.5 will receive additional review. Prospective students are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any other eligibility questions.
HECUA offers multiple scholarships to students each term. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, people of color) students, first-generation students, and students from low-income backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Visit our website to learn more.
Note: This provider has a Covid-19 vaccination requirement in order to participate in their programs.
- November 1st - January term and spring programs abroad, early bird scholarship deadline
- December 1st - spring US programs abroad deadline
- March 1st - early bird scholarship deadline for summer and fall programs
- March 15th - fall programs abroad deadline
- April 15th - summer and fall US programs deadline
To calculate an estimate of the total cost of your program, use the Cost Estimate Template
and do the following:
1. Go to the Full Fees Breakdown document on the HECUA website, located here: https://hecua.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Full-Fees-Breakdown-19-20-v5.pdf
2. Under your program, the HECUA Fee (comprehensive) includes the cost of tuition and housing.
3. Add the items listed under the heading Additional Expense Estimates to your total.
4. In addition to these fees, add the following costs to arrive at your total cost
- Application fee - $65
- Study Abroad Administrative fee - $460
- WSU Laptop fee (semester students only) - $485
If you would like further assistance in calculating the cost of your program, please email email@example.com