Weaving Tradition: Peru's History and Culture | Faculty-led Program
The most recent Weaving Tradition: Peru faculty-led program took place in May 2018.
This faculty-led program may be offered again in May 2023 or May 2024.
Explore Peru's history and culture! You will experience three distinct geographical regions: the Pacific Coast, the Andean Mountains, and the Amazon River and Rainforest. You will visit important Incan archeological sites, including Machu Picchu, and take classes in cooking, chocolate making, and textiles (plant-based dyeing, weaving, knitting and/or spinning). You will learn from a shaman about plants and animals in the Amazon Rainforest and how they are important to the indigenous groups of the area.
Peru's history is a fabric woven from threads of intermingling cultures, including indigenous, Spanish and other European, and Asian peoples. As we learn from the people of today's Peru; visit archeological sites; study hand-made artifacts; and tour modern cities whose architecture still retains the footprint of those that came before, we will examine how this fabric continues to evolve, expanding to encompass new perspectives and ways of life while maintaining patterns from the past. Topics to be covered include: textiles, handicrafts, societies, food, religion, nature, art, and architecture.
Peru: Lima (coast), Cusco (Andes, and Iquitos (Amazon River and Rainforest)
13-15 days in May
4 credits in GS 350
- Spanish majors and minors
- Community members interested in Andean textiles and Peruvian culture
- History, Global Studies, WGGS, and Education students
- The typical cost range for this program is between $5,800 - $6,600 depending on enrollment min/max.
- The program costs include: WSU tuition/fees, roundtrip airfare from MSP, in-country transportation, most group meals, lodging, admission fees for educational activities, international health insurance for the duration of the time in Peru, and the Study Abroad administrative fee.
- The $500 confirmation deposit required as part of the program application is applied toward the final program cost.
Dr. Vanessa Fernandez Greene (firstname.lastname@example.org)
STUDY ABROAD CONTACT INFORMATION
Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Abroad for Faculty-led Programs